- 1 Overview of the Brand
- 2 Sleep Style Recommendations
- 3 Puffy Mattress Models
- 4 Construction and Feel
- 5 Durability, Support, and Pressure Relief
- 6 Sizing and Pricing Information
- 7 Trials, Shipping, and Warranty
- 8 Summary: Pros and Cons
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
- The Puffy Original is a 10-inch, all-foam mattress with a medium level of firmness designed for even weight distribution and heat dissipation.
- Puffy offers three models including two luxury models, the 12-inch Puffy Lux and the 14-inch Puffy Royal along with an adjustable base, bed frame, and an assortment of bedding.
- Made with 100% CertiPUR-US® Certified memory foam and an Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 Certified cover, Puffy mattresses are safe and eco-friendly.
Overview of the Brand
The Puffy mattress company first entered the market in 2017 with their flagship product, a 10-inch, medium-firm, all-foam mattress. Today, Puffy offers two luxury mattress models as well: Puffy Lux (12 inches) and Puffy Royal (14 inches).
Puffy offers the promise of “perfect sleep,” having developed their products with years of research and the best sleep technologies to give customers a better, healthier sleep. Their mattresses are designed to reduce stress on pressure points, reliving back and joint pain in addition to improving blood circulation. Their Cooling Cloud adaptive foam ensures even weight distribution and heat dissipation for all body types and sleeping positions, night after night.
More than just mattresses, Puffy is your one-stop shop for the bedroom. Not only do they offer three different mattress models, but an adjustable base, bed frame, and a collection of bedding. Double up on comfort with a Puffy mattress pad or topper and protect your investment with a Puffy mattress protector. Puffy also offers a comforter, body pillow, sheets, and weighted blankets.
Puffy offers free shipping within 1 to 3 business days on all models and a 101-night sleep trial. Plus, with a lifetime warranty, your Puffy mattress is guaranteed for as long as you own it.
Sleep Style Recommendations
According to the Better Sleep Council, there are three main sleeping positions: side, back, and stomach. While your sleeping style is entirely a matter of preference, research suggests there are some ramifications when it comes to your health. What it really comes down to, however, is comfort and finding the right mattress to suit your sleeping style.
Back sleeping is ideal for head, back, and neck alignment (as long as you have the right pillow), but it can exacerbate issues with acid reflux and snoring. Side sleeping can lead to hip and back pain without proper alignment, so you need a combination of softness and support. Stomach sleepers do best with a firmer mattress to protect proper spinal alignment.
Here’s what you can expect from Puffy for the following sleeping styles:
- Side Sleepers – Enhanced pressure relief in the upper layer helps reduce pain in the hips and shoulders to improve comfort for side sleepers.
- Back Sleepers – The comfort layer provides the optimal combination of cushion and contouring for enhanced lumbar support, allowing for a neutral spine and increased pressure relief. That being said, some back sleepers prefer a firmer mattress.
- Stomach Sleepers – The firm base is designed to offer support, but it may not be quite firm enough for stomach sleepers, especially in the larger sizes.
- Combination Sleepers – Repositioning may be a bit more challenging with this all-foam mattress, but you may enjoy the combination of cushion and support.
- Couples – This mattress offers excellent motion isolation properties which makes it a great choice for people who share a bed with their partner.
- Heavy Sleepers – Though designed to support sleepers up to 350 pounds, heavy sleepers may find the mattress a bit too soft and may prefer a firmer mattress for support.
- Lightweight Sleepers – With its plush design, this mattress works well for lightweight sleepers, allowing you to sink through the top layers without losing the pressure-relieving support.
Generally speaking, memory foam mattresses provide better comfort and support than traditional innerspring mattresses. The firmness of the mattress can be suited to your sleeping style with customized features like gel or cooling memory foam for added comfort.
Puffy Mattress Models
The bed in a box movement has made it easier and more affordable to get a quality mattress customized to your sleeping style. While many companies offer a single mattress to keep costs down, the best online mattress companies offer a selection. Puffy currently offers three models:
- Puffy Original – The original Puffy mattress was ranked the best mattress of 2020 in numerous categories for all types of sleepers. This 10-inch mattress is designed to work with any frame or surface and comes with a 101-night sleep trial. It features a stain-resistant, zip-and-wash cover with multiple layers of premium memory foam to deliver the optimal combination of comfort and medium-firm support.
- Puffy Lux – The Puffy Lux 12-inch mattress offers medium-plush comfort ranked 5 to 7 on a 10-point firmness scale. It starts with a thick layer of Firm Core Support foam topped with a thinner layer of Climate Comfort foam. Both the original Puffy and the Puffy Lux are topped with a layer of Cooling Cloud foam, but the Puffy Lux has an addition layer of Plush Dual Cloud foam in between and a luxury cover.
- Puffy Royal – The Puffy Royal is a 14-inch luxury mattress that delivers a medium-firm feel. It features a fifth layer of memory foam with the same luxury, stain-resistant cover. All three Puffy mattress models ensure breathability in the top layer with a firm, supportive base adaptable to all stable sleep surfaces.
Construction and Feel
The Puffy mattress comes in all six standard U.S. sizes for all three models. The original Puffy sleep system features a three-layer, all-foam construction to deliver the perfect level of comfort and support.
The 7-inch base layer is designed to provide stability while minimizing sinkage, reacting to individual body weight and pressure. Fused to the base layer is a 2-inch layer of ClimateComfort adaptive foam crafted to resist contraction and expansion during temperature fluctuation. It acts as a temperature neutralizer, resulting in a consistent, temperature-neutral sleep experience all year-round.
All three Puffy models are topped with a 1.5-inch layer of Cooling Cloud foam that took 4 years of study and testing to develop. The highly adaptive material offers soft, cradling support with excellent breathability to prevent overheating. Each Puffy mattress also features a removable, washable cover.
What sets the Puffy Lux and Puffy Royal models apart from the original is the addition of extra foam layers. The Puffy Lux features a 1.5-inch layer of Plush Dual Cloud foam that contours perfectly to the body, reducing pressure and ensuring a well-balanced sleep. The Puffy Royal builds on that with a grooved layer of foam for added support and increased airflow for breathability.
Here’s an overview of the Puffy mattress’ construction:
- Firm Core Support base foam
- ClimateComfort adaptive foam
- Grooved layer of support foam (Puffy Royal only)
- Plush Dual Cloud contouring foam (Puffy Lux and Royal only)
- Cooling Cloud temperature-regulation foam
- Removable, washable high-end cover
This combination of premium memory foams is what creates the unique Puffy sleep experience. Not only is Puffy one of the best mattresses for back pain, but it is great for all sleeping types as well. With three options to choose from, it’s easy to find a Puffy mattress that suits your preferences.
Durability, Support, and Pressure Relief
As a company, Puffy has only been around since 2017, so it’s difficult to determine the long-term durability of their products. Generally speaking, synthetic all-foam mattresses tend not to last as long as innerspring or latest mattresses. Firmness impacts durability as well, so Puffy may have a shorter lifespan than mattresses made with denser foams. Body weight plays a role in durability, of course.
The Puffy mattress is designed to give you the feeling of sleeping in a cloud. The memory foam layers contour to your body, enveloping you in comfort. This might lead you to question how much support the mattress really offers, but the durable 7-inch base of Firm Core Support foam ensures enhanced lumbar support. The mattress has very little bounce and the top layer tends to respond slower than the base.
Where the Puffy mattress really shines is in pressure point relief. A top pick as the best mattress for side sleepers, the Puffy mattress uses adaptive memory foams that contour to the natural curves of the body to minimize pressure on the hips and shoulders. Stomach sleepers and heavy sleepers may, however, experience some areas of increased pressure.
The Puffy mattress is specifically designed for support and pressure point relief which is what makes it one of the best mattresses for side sleepers. Whether you suffer from back pain or not, however, the Puffy is a comfortable and supportive choice.
Before making your decision on whether this is the right mattress for you, consider the following additional features:
- Motion Isolation – The Puffy mattress offers excellent motion isolation which is particularly beneficial for people who sleep with a partner. Motion isolation ensures minimal sleep disruption due to movement. Most memory foam mattresses perform well in this department due to their high point elasticity.
- Edge Support – While foam mattresses perform well in motion isolation, they aren’t as strong in edge support. When you sit on the edge of the Puffy mattress, the side may dip a little, regardless of weight. This can make it challenging for some users to get out of bed and may cause sagging along the edge over time.
- Temperature Regulation – The Puffy mattress is designed for temperature neutrality – it is supposed to regulate temperature for a consistent sleep experience year-round. Though the Puffy mattress offers better temperature neutrality than many memory foam mattresses thanks to the cooling gel foam, it did sleep a little warmer than firmer mattresses with less conforming qualities. Memory foam tends to retain heat and reduce airflow which is why the added layer of grooved memory foam in the Royal model is such a benefit.
- Eco-Friendly Materials – Proudly manufactured in the USA, the Puffy mattress is made from safe, high-quality memory foams guaranteed free from the following:
- Ozone depleters
- PBDEs, TDCPP, or TCEP flame retardants
- Heavy metals like mercury and lead
- Certifications – The Puffy mattress is made with 100% CertiPUR-US® Certified memory foam tested to have low levels of harmful chemicals and heavy metals. The luxury cover is Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 Certified.
They are made with low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions as well, rated at less than 0.5 ppm for indoor air quality.
Sizing and Pricing Information
One of the primary benefits of buying a mattress online is the price. The best mattress in a box will still be a significant investment, but you could save hundreds or thousands of dollars by cutting out the middleman. Online mattress companies like Puffy sell directly to their customers which saves them money and they pass the savings on to you.
When it comes to pricing, Puffy is surprisingly affordable. The original Puffy ranges from about $800 to $1,350 retail while the Puffy Lux starts around $1,450. If that doesn’t quite fit your budget, you’ll be glad to know that Puffy often runs promotions, taking as much as $300 off. You may also receive free items like the Puffy Pillow which offers adjustable layers of comfort.
All three Puffy models come in the six standard U.S. sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and California king. Puffy doesn’t offer custom sizes for RVs and campers, nor do they offer children’s bed sizes.
|Puffy Original Mattress|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 10”||41 lbs.||$795|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 10”||45 lbs.||$825|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||58 lbs.||$995|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||69 lbs.||$1150|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||87 lbs.||$1,350|
|Cal. King||72” x 84” x 10”||87 lbs.||$1,350|
The original Puffy mattress is 10 inches deep, ranging from 41 to 87 pounds in weight. The Puffy Lux measures 12 inches deep and ranges from 45 to 95 pounds. The thickest of the three models, the Puffy Royal, measures 14 inches deep and weighs 60 to 130 pounds, depending on the size.
|Puff Lux Mattress|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||45 lbs.||$1,445|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 12”||49 lbs.||$1,495|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||63 lbs.||$1,595|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||75 lbs.||$1,795|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||95 lbs.||$1,995|
|Cal. King||72” x 84” x 12”||95 lbs.||$1,995|
Shipping for Puffy mattresses is free within the contiguous United States. You can expect to receive your mattress within 1 to 3 business days. Mattresses are compressed and rolled before shipping. You’ll need to set it up in the desired location, remove packaging, and allow several hours for it to regain its shape.
|Puff Royal Mattress|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 14”||60 lbs.||$1,645|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 14”||60 lbs.||$1,745|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||85 lbs.||$2,445|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||100 lbs.||$2,695|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||130 lbs.||$2,995|
|Cal. King||72” x 84” x 14”||130 lbs.||$2,995|
When it comes to payment, Puffy accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover. You can enter your card information directly on the website or pay through Paypal. Puffy also offers financing through Klarna. You’ll receive $0 interest if you pay in full within 6 to 12 months. Simply select “Pay with Klarna” at checkout or pre-qualify using your name, address, and the last four digits of your SSN.
Trials, Shipping, and Warranty
Because you can’t try the Puffy mattress in stores before you buy, you may be wondering what kind of return policy they offer. All Puffy customers receive a complimentary 101-night sleep trial with their purchase which means you can return the mattress up to 101 days after purchase for a full refund.
Though Puffy won’t hesitate to refund your purchase if you’re not completely satisfied, they do encourage you to give the mattress at least a month. It will take time for your body to fully adjust, especially if this is your first foam mattress. All customers are required to try out the mattress for a minimum of 14 days, though the recommended adjustment period is 30 days. At that point, if you’re still not satisfied, you can contact Puffy to initiate the return process.
When you return your Puffy mattress, the company doesn’t actually take it back. They’ll reach out to local charities to have the mattress picked up from your home before issuing you a refund. If you paid shipping charges for delivery to Alaska or Hawaii, however, your shipping fee won’t be returned.
In addition to the 101-night trial and free returns, Puffy also offers a Lifetime Warranty on their products. This warranty only applies to the original purchaser of the mattress.
Here are some highlights from Puffy’s lifetime warranty:
- It protects against certain product defects during the full period of the original owner’s ownership and use, covering repairs or replacements for covered defects.
- To qualify for the warranty, you must use your mattress on an appropriately sized bed frame or base – the warranty is void if the mattress has been abused or damaged by improper use.
- Covered defects include visible indentation or sag greater than 1.5 inches (not a result from improper use), a manufacturing flaw in the cover zipper, and physical flaws in the cover.
- The warranty doesn’t cover improper use, normal wear and tear, minor imperfections, stains or tears, damage caused by animals, or physical damage to the foam caused by the owner.
Puffy is confident you’ll love your new mattress, but they offer a 100% risk-free guarantee just to be sure you’re satisfied. Every mattress comes with a 101-night sleep trial, free shipping and no-hassle returns, and a lifetime warranty.
Summary: Pros and Cons
Even the best online mattress company has its ups and downs, so it’s important to do your research before you make your choice. Whether you’re looking for the best mattress for back and neck pain, or simply looking for an upgrade to your current mattress, Puffy offers three options to choose from.
Here’s a quick summary for the pros and cons of the Puffy mattress:
Pros for the Puffy Mattress:
- Three to five layers (depends on model) of premium memory foam
- Choose from three different models with three levels of firmness
- Enjoy a 101-night trial period with free shipping/returns and lifetime warranty
- Excellent breathability, pressure point relief, and motion isolation
Cons for the Puffy Mattress:
- May not be the best mattress for back sleepers or heavy sleepers
- Not the strongest mattress for edge support, too soft for some sleepers
- Low level of bounce, may make movement on the mattress more difficult
Take what you’ve learned here about the Puffy mattress and consider your options. If it seems like the perfect fit, there’s little risk in giving it a try – you’re covered by a 101-night trial with free shipping and returns. If you’re not sure yet, there are plenty of other options to think about.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the mattress made from? – The Puffy mattress is made from CertiPUR-US certified memory foam. The original Puffy 10-inch mattress consists of 3 layers while the Lux has an additional 2-inch layer of Dual Plush Cloud foam. The 14-inch Puffy Royal contains these four layers with the addition of a grooved layer of foam for improved support and temperature regulation.
- Does the mattress require a foundation? – Not necessarily. The Puffy mattress is designed to be used on most surfaces, even the floor. The key is to choose a stable, level surface for the best results. The Puffy mattress works with platform beds, adjustable frames, slatted frames, and traditional box springs.
- Can the mattress be used with an adjustable bed frame? – Yes, all three Puffy mattresses are compatible with adjustable bases. If you’re looking to try one, consider the Puffy adjustable bed frame.
- Does the mattress need to be flipped? – The Puffy mattress is designed with a 7-inch support base and a 1.5-inch layer of cooling foam on the top. There is no need to flip the mattress and doing so might change your sleep experience. That being said, you can rotate the mattress 180-degrees from time to time for even wear.
- Can I try the mattress before buying? – Unfortunately, Puffy mattresses are not sold in stores. You can, however, try one yourself risk-free for 101 nights in your own home. Simply purchase a Puffy mattress and try it for a minimum of 14 days before making your choice. If you don’t like it, returns are free and you’ll receive a full refund.