- 1 What is the Best Weighted Blankets for Adults?
- 2 Are Weighted Blankets Safe for Adults?
- 3 Key Components of Weighted Blankets for Adults
- 4 10 Conditions in Adults that Weighted Blankets May Help With
- 5 The 8 Best Weighted Blankets for Adults
- 6 7 More Top Rated Weighted Blankets for Adults
- 7 FAQ
For many adults, sleep is a luxury. Whether you got out of work late or have to be at the office early, there are plenty of things that rob us of our much-needed sleep.
- Premium glass beads
- Breathable cotton fabric
- Premium cotton materials
- Premium glass beads
- Wide variety of sizes
Though you might not be able to convince your boss to let you start work an hour later, there are things you can do to boost the quality of the sleep you do get. Weighted blankets for adults can improve the quality and duration of your sleep, helping you fall asleep faster and wake feeling more rested. They also provide benefits for a wide variety of health conditions.
If you’ve ever been curious about weighted blankets, you’ve come to the right place! Here you’ll find an overview of weighted blankets for adults as well as our recommendations for the top 8 products.
What is the Best Weighted Blankets for Adults?
- YnM Weighted Blanket for Adults
- ZonLi Weighted Blanket for Adults
- Quility Premium Adult Weighted Blanket
- Degrees of Comfort Weighted Blanket
- Weighted Idea Cotton Weighted Blanket
- Dr. Hart’s Weighted Blanket Deluxe Set
- Hypnoser Weighted Blanket for Kids and Adults
- LUNA Organic Cotton Weighted Blanket
Are Weighted Blankets Safe for Adults?
The idea that a blanket might not be safe may sound silly, but it is a valid concern. There are horror stories about misinformed parents using weighted blankets on babies to help them fall asleep, only to find that the child has died in its sleep. Though the details are unclear, there is a concern that using weighted blankets for babies may increase the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
Though weighted blankets are not safe for babies, they are safe for children and adults when used properly. Children obviously need a smaller blanket, and weight recommendations differ. Weighted blankets for adults should be large enough to provide the desired benefit and equal to about 10% your bodyweight in weight. For children, the recommendation is 10% bodyweight plus 1 to 2 pounds.
Weighted blankets are safe for adults, but you should be careful about using a weighted blanket intended for adults on your child. If the blanket is too heavy, it could constrict your child’s breathing. If you want your child to use a weighted blanket, buy them one of their own.
Key Components of Weighted Blankets for Adults
All weighted blankets contain similar components, regardless whether they are made for children or adults. When shopping for weighted blankets, it helps to understand the different types of blankets and their components so you can compare and contrast the different options.
Here is a quick overview of the different types of weighted blankets:
- Fully Sewn – This is a weighted blanket that is all one piece – it has no removable cover. These blankets are often made from minky material, but you can find cotton blankets as well.
- Removable Cover – These blankets consist of two parts – the weighted component and a removable, washable cover. Some blankets come with different covers for different seasons.
- Box Construction – This is a construction in which the weighted material is sewn into even-sized squares. It is similar in appearance to a down comforter, but each box is filled with material.
- Channel Construction – This construction features channels filled with the weighted material and they generally offer more even distribution of weight than box construction blankets.
- Shoulder Blanket – Many weighted blankets for adults are designed to be used in bed, but there are also smaller blankets that can be draped across your shoulders or lap. These blankets provide the same benefits, but they are intended to be used when sitting rather than sleeping.
Now that you know what kind of weighted blankets you’re likely to come across, here are some key components you should consider when making your choice:
- Size – The overall size of the blanket should be determined by how you want to use it. Smaller blankets can be draped across your lap or shoulders while larger blankets can be used in bed.
- Weight – The ideal weight for a weighted blanket for adults is 10% of your bodyweight, but you can add or subtract a pound or two for comfort, depending on the desired benefit.
- Fabric – The fabric from which the blanket is constructed determines how much heat it retains as well as the tactile experience. Some blankets are made from cotton to stay cool while others are made from a minky material for a warmer, more sensory experience.
- Filler – Most weighted blankets use synthetic materials like glass or plastic beads, though some utilize natural materials like rice or millet. Avoid any blankets weighted with lead.
- Cover – Many weighted blankets come with a removable cover which makes washing easy. Just pay attention to the washing instructions about cleaning the blanket itself.
In addition to keeping these components in mind, you may want to think about your underlying reason for buying a weighted blanket. Weighted blankets for adults can help with a wide variety of different conditions – keep reading to learn more.
10 Conditions in Adults that Weighted Blankets May Help With
Weighted blankets for adult look like regular blankets, but they have some weight to them. But what is the point of a weighted blanket? It all has to do with something called deep touch pressure (DTP) stimulation. The weight of the blanket actually stimulates your brain to produce more serotonin which results in a calming effect. It decreases nervous system activity and reduced cortisol production as well.
Here are 10 conditions that weight blankets can help with:
- Anxiety and stress
- Sensory processing disorder
- Fibromyalgia pain
- Restless leg syndrome
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Panic disorder
The 8 Best Weighted Blankets for Adults
Every weighted blanket is unique, and because they are all very similar, it is up to you to decide which features are most important to you. To help you start shopping, we’ve compiled a list of our top 8 weighted blankets for adults – check them out to see if one seems like the right fit:
|Our 2022 Picks: Best Weighted Blanket For Adults|
|YnM Weighted Blanket for Adults |
|ZonLi Weighted Blanket for Adults |
|Quility Premium Adult Weighted Blanket |
|Degrees of Comfort Weighted Blanket |
|Weighted Idea Cotton Weighted Blanket |
|Dr. Hart’s Weighted Blanket Deluxe Set |
|Hypnoser Weighted Blanket |
|LUNA Organic Cotton Weighted Blanket |
Overall Best Weighted Blanket for Adults: Easily one of the most popular weighted blankets on the market, the YnM Weighted Blanket is our top pick. This blanket offers the maximum degree of comfort, giving you the option to choose the fabric. Choose from a 100% breathable cotton, minky, or bamboo face fabric with an optional removable cover. This weighted blanket features a box construction with each box measuring 4 to 5 inches, the perfect size to ensure even weight distribution. The YnM weighted blanket for adults consists of a unique 7-layer system that adapts to your body shape to surround you in comfort.
- Pros: Unique 7-layer system conforms to body, choose from several face fabrics, use with or without cover, 5-inch box construction, premium glass beads, wide variety of sizes
- Cons: May not last as long with machine washing
7 More Top Rated Weighted Blankets for Adults
If the weighted blanket above doesn’t seem like the perfect fit, don’t worry – there are plenty of other options out there! Here are 7 more weighted blankets for adults that we recommend:
If you’re looking for a weighted blanket for anxiety, the ZonLi weighted blanket is a great choice. Filled with premium glass beads and made with a 100% breathable cotton fabric, this blanket will literally surround you in calming comfort. This blanket comes in four different sizes and weights up to 25 pounds as well as a variety of different colors. With a 7-layer design, this blanket offers even weight distribution and smaller pockets to avoid leakage. Plus, it is hypoallergenic and surprisingly affordable for the size.
- Pros: Hypoallergenic materials, unique 7-layer design, smaller pockets to avoid leakage, premium cotton fabric, wide range of sizes and colors, affordable price
- Cons: Can be very warm in the summer, may be thinner than expected
For maximum comfort at any time of year, try the Quility weighted blanket. This weighted blanket provides natural sleep support and comes in four different sizes and weights up to 30 pounds. It features premium cotton materials for a breathable, lightweight summer sleep but also comes with a removable minky cover if you need a little more warmth. This blanket is filled with premium glass beads and features a box construction for even distribution of weight. It may cost a little more than some blankets, but the inclusion of the minky cover and variety of size options is a benefit.
- Pros: Comes with minky cover, box construction for even weight distribution, several sizes and many weights, premium glass beads, breathable cotton fabric
- Cons: Putting the cover back on can be difficult, cover is not made from natural fibers
If you like to have options, the Degrees of Comfort Weighted Blanket may be the way to go. This weighted blanket for adults features a blanket filled with nano-ceramic beads engineered for 10-point weight distribution. You’ll also receive two different duvet covers, giving you the best bang for your buck. One cover is made from a soft, minky fabric for warmth and tactile comfort – the other is made from a custom heat-wicking fabric to keep you cool. This company may not offer as many choices in color as some brands, but there are several sizes and weights to choose from.
- Pros: Nano-ceramic bead filling, comes with two duvet covers, covers for cooling and warmth, several sizes and weights to choose from
- Cons: Limited options for color choice, may not be large enough to share
Whether you’re looking for a weighted blanket for anxiety or some other condition, choosing the right weight is important. The Weighted Idea Cotton Weighted Blanket comes in four different sizes and weights ranging from 5 to 25 pounds. The blanket itself is made from breathable cotton fabric with a box construction for even distribution of the hypoallergenic bead filling. This blanket features a unique 7-layer design and comes with the option to purchase a removable duvet cover for warmth. The cover connects with 8 loops, making it easy to put on and take off for washing.
- Pros: Affordable price tag, wide range of sizes and weights, premium cotton fabric, hypoallergenic bead filling, smaller pockets for even weight distribution
- Cons: Removable cover is not included, loops to attach cover can be tricky
Developed by neurologist Dr. Hart, this weighted blanket features a unique design and premium materials for an unmatched experience. The blanket comes with a premium weighted comforter blanket as well as a luxurious micro plush cover. The patented ContourWave design features organically shaped waves that contour to your body like no other weighted blanket. The blanket is filled with patented DreamBeads, quartz micro-spheres that are eco-friendly and hypoallergenic – they are also soft and quiet! Plus, they help keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Pros: Designed by a neurologist, patented ContourWave pattern and DreamBeads, warm in winter, cool in summer, eco-friendly hypoallergenic filling, premium materials
- Cons: Only comes in one size (three weights), more expensive than many blankets
Available in a wide range of sizes and weights, the Hypnoser Weighted Blanket is a great choice. Not only is it highly affordable, but it consistently receives excellent weighted blanket reviews from users. This blanket features 100% breathable cotton materials in a box construction with 4×4-inch pockets to minimize leakage and ensure even weight distribution. This blanket is very quiet and comes with the option to purchase a removable, washable cover for your convenience. Plus, it has tighter, smaller stitches for durability.
- Pros: Highly affordable, smaller 4×4-inch pockets, even weight distribution, smaller tighter stitches for improved durability, very quiet during movement, removable, washable cover
- Cons: Cover not included (sold separately), limited color choices
Many weighted blankets are too warm to sleep with, even during the winter. The LUNA Organic Cotton Weighted Blanket is different because it is made from cooling cotton fabrics and designed for breathability. The filling consists of medical-grade glass beans that are woven into the fabric to prevent shifting and leakage. The blanket comes with a luxurious 400 thread count outer shell with the ideal amount of filling. It only comes in two weights, but it is generously sized so you can easily share it with a bed partner if you choose to. It also comes with a 365-night money back guarantee.
- Pros: Organic cotton materials, medical-grade glass beads, luxurious 400 thread-count outer shell, even weight distribution, generous money back guarantee
- Cons: Only comes in two different weights, loops to attach cover can be tricky
- Do weighted blankets work for adults? – Weighted blankets are safe for both adults and children. Not only can they help with general stress and anxiety, but they can improve sleep and provide relief for a variety of conditions including insomnia, ADHD, restless legs syndrome, fibromyalgia, and more. Individual results may vary, but many adults find it helpful to sleep with a weighted blanket.
- How heavy should a weighted blanket be? – Generally speaking, a weighted blanket should be about 10% of your bodyweight for adults. For children, it should be about 10% of body weight plus 1 or 2 pounds. To give you an example, an adult weighing 150 pounds should choose a blanket weighing about 15 pounds. This is the ideal weight to get the therapeutic benefit, but you can add or subtract weight for comfort’s sake.
- Do weighted blankets help you sleep? – Weighted blankets are very beneficial for sleep for a number of reasons. Most importantly, the weight created deep touch pressure stimulation which boosts serotonin production in the brain. Sleeping with a weighted blanket may help you fall asleep faster, sleep longer, and wake up feeling more rested.
- How do you wash a weighted blanket? – Washing a weighted blanket depends largely on the design. Some blankets are all one piece while others have a removable, washable cover. If the cover is removable, you can generally wash it on the gentle cycle, though you should refer to the washing instructions to be sure. For blankets that do not have a removable cover, you should spot-clean stains as much as possible or wash it separately from other things in cool water on the gentle cycle with no chlorine bleach or fabric softener added.
Whether you suffer from anxiety or you simply want to achieve a better night’s sleep, using a weighted blanket may help. These blankets can improve the quality of your sleep by helping you fall asleep more quickly, stay asleep longer, and wake up feeling refreshed.
If you’re not sure where to start looking for a weighted blanket for adults, simply check out our weighted blanket reviews and try one of the 8 blankets above. Best of luck!